Looking for something fun to do? Check out our Top 10 things to do in the Lake Minnetonka area!
Just short drive from downtown, come spend the day in the Lake Minnetonka area!
Here’s our TOP 10 list of what to do! And of course, that perfect day starts out with a visit to the General Store of Minnetonka!
- General Store of Minnetonka! Arrive just before the store opens to grab a fresh brewed latte and a blueberry scone in the General Store Café. Now it’s time to Go Shopping! Have fun exploring the over 20,000 square feet of gifts and goods—spread out over two floors. We know you will find something you will love!
- General Store Café & Bistro! Head back to the Café for a little lunch—all that shopping can make you hungry! Try the Triple Salad Sampler—you pick three salads. (The General Store Chicken Salad is a favorite!) Be sure to get a giant hot Popover—and the honey butter that goes with it. And last, but not least, Gloria’s Famous Pumpkin Squares are what we are famous for. But the cookies aren’t bad either.
When you are ready, head on back to the store and finish up your shopping. Who knew shopping could be so much fun?!
- Excelsior! Just five miles west of the General Store is the quant village of Excelsior. Get a scoop of ice cream at Licks Unlimited or custard at Adele’s and wander the town. Be sure to head down to the lake and explore the Excelsior Commons. Did you know that the Excelsior Commons was modeled after the Boston Commons, and to this day, they are the only two designated “commons” areas in the USA.
- On your short walk back into town enjoy a beverage or dinner at one of the fun restaurants in town. Some of our favorites are Maynard’s (on the deck in the summer), Lago Tacos, Coalition or Layline.
- Wayzata! A short drive away is the fashionable town of Wayzata. Spend some time in the giant Adirondack chairs overlooking the lake and watch the boats pass by. If you are a little thirsty or hungry, our favorite place to grab a bite or a glass of wine is the Grocer’s Table, right off of Lake Street.
- Theater! A wonderful way to spend the afternoon or evening in the Lake Minnetonka is taking in a play at the Old Log Theater or Chanhassen Dinner Theater. The Chanhassen Dinner Theater is the longest running Dinner Theater in the country. And is a local treasure to be sure. The Old Log Theater, on its picturesque setting by the lake, has a reputation in the area for hosting hilarious British comedies, amongst other genres.
- Boating! For an evening adventure in the summer, inquire about a Lake Minnetonka dinner cruise with the Queen of Excelsior or Al & Alma’s or rent a pontoon boat at Howard’s Point Marina and explore the many bays of Lake Minnetonka on your own.
- Wineries! The Lake Minnetonka area boasts three wineries that offer tastings and often have events and outdoor music. Parley Lake, Sovereign Estates and Schramm make the perfect
- Gardens! Visiting the Minnesota Arboretum is a beautiful way to spend an afternoon. The University of Minnesota Arboretum is ranked as one of the best in the country for its vast array of flowers and plants, walking trails and seasonal displays.
- Prince! Last but not least, head over to Chanhassen, on Prince Rogers Nelson Highway and take a guided tour of Paisley Park. See where our most famous royalty honed his craft and created his magic. And, if you get a chance, don’t forget to follow Prince’s advice and purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.